YU blasts Kosovo security
BELGRADE, Jun 10, 2000 -- (Reuters) Yugoslavia accused international forces of being incapable of ensuring security for all in Kosovo as Belgrade presented documents listing what it said were crimes committed by Albanian "terrorist" groups. The documents, part of a White Book, comprise four volumes covering crimes allegedly committed from the beginning of an armed conflict in the province two years ago involving Kosovo Albanian separatist guerrillas and Yugoslav security forces. It also describes what it calls atrocities and destruction by "Albanian terrorists" after NATO's 78-day air campaign in 1999 that led to the withdrawal of Yugoslav forces and the arrival of the Alliance-led KFOR peacekeepers and the UN administration (UNMIK). The first two volumes of the White Book were published last year and dealt with destruction and casualties caused by the bombing. Published on the first anniversary of the end of the air strikes, the latest documents accuse international forces now in control of Kosovo of being incapable of ensuring safety for all. "The situation in Kosovo is now worse than ever," Nada Gluscevic, deputy head of the Yugoslav Foreign Ministry's information department, said in presenting the new volumes. "We are witnesses that the bloody campaign of the Albanian terrorists is continuing with unabated intensity and will unfortunately continue in the days to come," Gluscevic said. Belgrade has frequently criticized KFOR and UNMIK for failing to protect the non-Albanian population in Kosovo and called on them on Thursday to leave the province. A Foreign Ministry official reiterated the call on Friday. Foreign Ministry legal adviser Rodoljub Etinski said the international community should withdraw their troops. "They should stop feeding expectations of ethnic Abanian political leaders that they can achieve anything more than autonomy within Serbia," he said. The newly released volumes say that since the arrival of KFOR and UMNIK, 350,000 non-Albanians, mostly Serbs, have been expelled from Kosovo, more than 5,000 terrorist acts recorded, more than 1,000 civilians killed and around 1,000 people abducted. The office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has said at least 150,000 Serbs and others have fled Kosovo to Serbia since the end the bombing.