CEOL
More than 300 mass graves in Kosovo, war crimes prosecutor says

More than 300 mass graves in Kosovo, war crimes prosecutor says

GENEVA, Apr 17, 2000 -- (AFP) There are more than 300 mass graves in Kosovo, and the UN war crimes court will investigate them fully, chief prosecutor Carla Del Ponte said in an interview published Sunday.

"We will open all of them (the graves). I have told my officials that not a single body must be left. As far as possible, all must be identified so that their loved ones can bury them with dignity," Del Ponte told dimanche.ch newspaper.

The International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia in The Hague is expected to resume exhumation of mass graves in the coming week. Work was suspended during the winter.

In November, Del Ponte told the UN Security Council that 2,108 bodies had been exhumed so far from 195 mass graves in Kosovo.

Most of the dead were ethnic Albanians, including women and children, but there were also some Serbs, the court indicated.



Original article