CEOL - Suspects in Kosovo bomb attack released

BRUSSELS, Dec 29, 1999 -- (Reuters) International authorities in Kosovo said on Tuesday they had released four people detained after a bomb attack on a Serb cafe which seriously wounded two men.

The four had been released for lack of evidence linking them with the attack in the eastern town of Vitina on Monday, a spokesman for the NATO-led KFOR peacekeeping force said.

The spokesman said a total of eight people had been wounded after a homemade bomb was thrown into the cafe. The two seriously wounded men, and a third with minor injuries, were rushed to hospital at the Camp Bondsteel U.S. military base.

"All the injured are suffering from shrapnel wounds but are resting quietly and are in stable condition," KFOR spokesman Lieutenant Commander Philip Anido said in a statement. "They are all expected to recover."

Since NATO bombing drove out Serb forces in June, Kosovo has seen a wave of revenge attacks by members of the ethnic Albanian majority angry at years of Serb repression.

Kosovo's international police force has struggled to catch many of the perpetrators and has complained of a widespread "culture of silence" among the local population when it tries to gather evidence from witnesses.

Police notched up one possible success on Monday, however, when they revealed they had arrested a suspect in connection with an attack last month which sparked widespread revulsion across Kosovo and beyond.

They said they had detained a 27-year-old Albanian man after receiving information from witnesses. A Serb professor was shot dead and his wife and mother-in-law, aged 76, were beaten up by a mob in the attack on November 29.

http://www.centraleurope.com/yugoslaviatoday/news.php3?id=121569

[URL may be different next day if article is archived]